Monday, January 24, 2011

It's Been a While

It's been a while since I've posted just about me.  So I thought I'd talk about what I've learned in the last year.  My sister Stefanie did a recap of 2010 on her blog and I thought it was a good way of doing that.  So here you go.

1. What did you do in 2010 that you'd never done before?:   

Had part of my floors redone and survived during it
Got radiation for thyroid cancer
Had to spend a week away from my kids
Threw a surprise party
Watched my 1st daughter's 1st dance recital
Tried teaching violin
Got called as Primary Chorister (loving it!)
Dressed up like a fairy in public
Went camping with lots of friends
Sent my first born to kindergarten
Babysat a friend's baby on a regular basis

Got paid to take someone's pictures

Lived super close to my best friend
Flew with three kids all by myself

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?:  
Ummmm. I don't know if I made any new year's resolutions.  This year my resolution is to focus on my spirituality and try to learn to follow the promptings of the Spirit better.  Also, to get out of debt.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?:  
My sister gave birth to my niece in May :)

4. Did anyone close to you die?: 
No, thankfully.


5. What countries did you visit?: 
I did not travel except to Utah.  I drove through Idaho.  So, that counts, right?

6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?:  
More patience.  Regular personal scripture study.

7. What date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?:  
March 2010- getting radiation for my thyroid cancer and having to be separated from my babies and husband.
Sept/October 2010- Jeana moving into the neighborhood and making me more sane.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?:  
Starting my photography business.

9. What was your biggest failure?:  
Not being able to handle all the pressures on me with grace and a soft voice. And not getting my sister's wedding video finished when I said I would.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?: 
The thyroid cancer stuff.  The hardest part of that was actually getting my thyroid dosage right.  That week of radiation wasn't very fun, but it took a good 6 months to feel more normal.  And even then, it had been at least a year or two since I'd been normal (not pregnant or nursing or hypothyroid) so it was hard for me to know what normal felt like.  Depression (which was probably due to my thyroid hormones being off).  I also got a nasty stomach bug and a bad cold later in the year when Ballerina started public school.

11. What was the best thing you bought?: 
My Mac! My 50mm 1.4 camera lens.  I use it almost every day and it makes my pictures beautiful!  Our Dyson vacuum.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?: 
Handsome Husband's, most definitely.  He works so hard for our family.  He got the promotion and he dealt with my months of depression and inability to get dinner on the table or get the house cleaned.  And he handled it without complaint and with so much love and support.  HOW did I get so blessed?  
Also, my Mom and Dad, for dealing with all the trials that have been put on them with such grace and wisdom.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled?: 
Maybe my children when they were not nice to other kids or to each other.

14. Where did most of your money go?:  
My kids and photography.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?  
Getting my Mac, taking pictures for others, Jeana moving close, visiting my family in Utah for my sister's wedding and again for Christmas.

16. What song will always remind you of 2010?: 
Everybody by Ingrid Michaelson, either that or the Cougar Fight song.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?: Happier
ii. thinner or fatter?: Thinner (thank you , diet!)
iii. richer or poorer?: Richer... Handsome Husband got a raise and promotion!

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?: 
Thanking people.  Being nicer to those I don't know. Serving others.  Studying the Gospel. Going on more hikes and enjoying the good weather during the summer.  Recording more of the cute things my kids said.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?: 
Wasting time on the computer. Yelling at the kids. Complaining. Being depressed.  Procrastinating and worrying.

20. What was the most embarrassing thing that happened to you in 2010?:  
I can't really think of anything.

21. Did you fall in love in 2010?: 
Yes, with accessories.  I found out that I love wearing big flower clips in my hair, fun necklaces, boots and cute coats.  It's a good thing Jeana moved in to help me discover this.

22. What was your favorite TV program?: 
Psych, Chuck, White Collar, The Office

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?:  
I don't hate people. I'm not a hater.

24. What was the best book you read?: 
The Hunger Games Series. The Maze Runner.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?: 

Taylor Swift (All these are thanks to my sisters, Ruthann and Stefanie)
Ingrid Michaelson

Tyler Ward


26. What did you want and get?: 
A Mac, 50 mm lens,  a JoTotes camera bag (thanks, Mom!), Jeana moving in, lots of love from my husband and kids.

27. What did you want and not get?: 
A fancy website for my photography business.  A newer, better camera and lens. An large, unexpected amount of money in my bank account.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?:  


29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?: 
On my birthday I took Ballerina's preschool class on a field trip and had lunch at Red Robin's with the children.  We went to the mall with the kids and I bought them pjs from the Disney store. Handsome Husband made me a birthday cake and he and Ballerina "surprised" me when I walked in the door. I turned 28.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?: 
Going on Prozac sooner.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?: 
Growing and evolving.

32. What kept you sane?: 
Handsome Husband, Jeana, blogging, photography

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?:  

Glenn Beck, he got me interested in politics.


34. What political issue stirred you the most?: 
Universal Health Care (I am against it)

35. Who did you miss?: 
My older sister

36. Who was the best new person you met?: 
My new brothers-n-law, Tayler and C.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010: 
I learned a lot about accepting service. It's ok if you can't handle everything and need to ask for help.  And I learned that if Heavenly Father can't be there when you need Him, he sometimes takes drastic measures and sends you your best friend instead.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
" I just want to be ok, be ok, I just want to be ok today."


Anyway, that's a little idea of what my year was like in 2010. It was a memorable year.

4 comments:

rachel said...

Awww! I miss you too! Make a plan to go to Stef's sealing! We are!

Unknown said...

I was called as Primary Chorister in 2010 too and I love it! Such a great calling. Loved reading about your year- of course I read about it regularly as it happens with all your blog posts!

Cpt Naykid said...

I enjoyed reading all of this. Sounds like you had a pretty good 2010. I like that your MAC and camera were the best purchases. I think it is funny the vacuum made the list.

I love you and love to help where I can. I am so sorry the depression thing was so hard and lasted so long. I am glad Jeana helps with that. I am just bummed I couldn't help more.

I am glad your camera has been well used! :)

V said...

You did so many fun things in 2010!

I love this I may do the same thing in my journal.

I had no idea you battled with depression this year (except when you said someone warned you about depression with the thyroid treatment)! So glad things are better now.