Wednesday, June 16, 2010

First Lesson

I gave Ballerina her first violin lesson today. To make sure I would stay committed, I invited her best friend to have lessons along with her. So I bought the Rainbow Tones book and teacher's manual (I played violin for 7 years in school and occasionally break it out to play for other things). Ballerina LOVES her violin (she uses a 1/4 size). She has pulled it out at least 5 different times today to practice. I really hope she gets the concept of reading the music. At this point she is just exploring her violin and learning to have fun with it. After the lesson today, I realized what a big challenge teaching the correct bow hold will be, so I ordered a Bow Hold Buddie so that she can get the hold right from the start. (Above it looks like she is clutching the bow in a fist, it should look more relaxed and held with the fingertips) I also need to get her a shoulder rest because her violin is always drooping. I mean, I realize that this is day one, so I'm not expecting perfection or anything. I'm just taking an inventory of the work I have in store for myself!Sweetie wanted to sing songs while Ballerina accompanied, so Ballerina just bowed on her violin while Sweetie sang different songs.
Then Ballerina gave Sweetie a little lesson on how to hold her violin.
So cute!
Here she is telling Sweetie to keep her bow off the black fingerboard.
Ballerina has a great bow hand when her bow isn't in it!
This will be an interesting adventure. I hope that Ballerina's excitement doesn't fade, she is soo happy to be learning to play the violin. She thinks she already can after one lesson!

2 comments:

Summer said...

That's awesome! Those are great pictures! Mia already wants me to take her violin back- ;b We pushed the long-bows too hard and it wasn't fun enough. Now I tell her she can do whatever she wants with it, as long as she plays- but she doesn't even want to do that!

Cpt Naykid said...

I am glad Ballerina is so excited about playing the violin. I love her excitment and enthusiasm. She doesn't quite grasp music, pitch, rhythm, etc. But I assume those will all come with time and practice.

Good job teaching!

I think it is great she wanted to teach Sweetie.