Monday, March 22, 2010

Radiation

This was me a little over a year ago, waiting for my thyroidectomy, 14 weeks pregnant with Cpt. Adorable.
Handsome Husband stayed and waited with me the whole time until I went into surgery.
This is the "pig" that held my radioactive iodine pill that I swallowed last week. They wouldn't let me take a picture of the pill (it was just a normal sized gel cap) since they wanted me to hurry up and swallow it and LEAVE so I wouldn't contaminate everyone. My aunt Abra came with me and we laughed and joked the whole time we were waiting.

What radiation was like for me:
* nausea and loss of appetite for about 5-7 days (didn't kick in until the day after) it totally reminded me of mild morning sickness where the sight of food made me want to throw up.
*feeling COLD and shivering (I slept with 3 blankets, fully clothed with slippers and the house was kept at 70 degrees)
*feeling tired and sleeping a lot
* waking up with some insomnia
*getting some meaningful scripture study done for the first time in a LONG time without the distraction of kids
*feeling so disconnected from life without my kids
*starting to memorize The Living Christ for a Personal Progress project
*doing whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted and feeling totally useless in the process (kind of reminded me of life as a teenager)
*keeping busy with doing a puzzle while listening to an audiobook:
*watching Glenn Beck and the whole Health Care drama with my grandparents
*watching movies and Bewitched with my Grandma
*feeling like time was dragging on
*living for those picture messages from Handsome Husband of my cute kids
*being SO relieved to finally be able to eat REAL FOOD
*my Grandma made me my Mom's beef stew and that was a TOTAL comfort food for me
*my Grandpa made tasty pina coladas for us
*feeling overwhelming gratitude for everyone who was helping with the kids and me
*LOVING seeing my kids when they visited, but HATING not being able to touch them and kiss them
*enjoying a girl's luncheon with my Grandma, Mom and aunt Abra, but feeling like I needed to stay away from the little kids in the restaurant (this was the day before I went home to see the kids)
*feeling like a leper when people would recoil from me if they accidentally touched me
*feeling horrible when my husband hesitated to hug me and I had to convince him that it was safe
*being a little overwhelmed at how emotional this whole process was

2 comments:

Emmy said...

Thank you for sharing this.. I can't imagine going through this. I am so happy for you that you have so much wonderful family that is able to help you and your family out.

Cpt Naykid said...

You are so great at record keeping, truly you are!

I am glad that we (you) now have this experience in the past and can look to our futures together again without it looing.

I am glad that your overall experience was not as trying for you physically.

I am sorry it was so hard emotionally, and that I couldn't help more. I am sorry I hesitated in hugging you (but in self defence it was because I was going to go hold the kids).

I love you and I am so glad that you are doing so well! (don't leave me again :)