Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Potty Training Success!

Apparently, Sweetie is ready to be potty trained! I felt like it was important to give Sweetie lots of choices so she felt in control. So a few days ago I asked if she wanted to start using the potty on Monday or Tuesday. She answered Tuesday, so today I reminded her. She didn't want to get her underwear, but I gave her the choice of no TV show (if she didn't get her underwear) or a TV show (if she got her underwear). So she went and chose some Fancy Nancy underwear. She said she was going to keep it clean and go on the potty. I set a timer to go off every 25 minutes and had her take breaks to go sit on the potty for a minute. At first she didn't like this, but she didn't mind so much when I read a book to her while she sat. Then one time in between her timer going off she stripped her underwear off and ran to the potty, sat down and peed! All by herself!!!She only had two accidents today. One at the park (which I'd expected and brought a change of clothes) and one at home. Sweetie peed AND pooped on the potty all on her own. I didn't have to set the timer any more. She would just run to the bathroom when she felt like she needed to go! I wouldn't even know that she'd gone until she would shout, "Come see! Come see!" She's 3 1/2, about the same age that Ballerina was, but she is making this whole process SO easy! Sweetie got to the point where she would pee, empty the little potty into the big one and go put a sticker on her chart all by herself! She would say, "I won!" And she loved how happy it was making ME. The funniest thing is that she'd strip BEFORE she ran to the potty and then she wouldn't put her underwear back ON. So we will work on underwear technique. :) I really hope that she sticks with her newfound potty skills. Once she fills her chart, we are going out for ice cream!
Ballerina came down with a fever this evening. She is lying on the floor, telling Sweetie and Captain Adorable that they aren't allowed near her while she has so many issues. She had been complaining of her side hurting, her fingernails hurting, and her head hurting, so I told her that she sure had a lot of issues. She had played ALL DAY LONG because I was babysitting a friend's daughter that was her age from 7:30am to 4pm. We did go to the park for about two hours for lunch. It's been a full day. I hope her fever doesn't last.

Oh and Happy Birthday to my Mom today!

1 comment:

Cpt Naykid said...

Congrats to Sweetie for pursuing potty training! It has been much more efficient then our first attempt with Ballerina. It is kind of annoying that we have to keep her out of underwear, but hopefully she will continue to make progress and we can create a habit!