Saturday, October 17, 2009

Teaching and Being Taught

The other day Baby Dragon wanted to buy something and I told her no. She asked why and I explained that it cost too much. I told her that we had to choose carefully how we were going to spend the money that Dad made for us when he went to work. Trying to explain this gave me a moment for pause.

I realized that Handsome Husband going to work every day to bring home money to share and support our family was a huge sacrifice. It's not that I'd never realized this before, but the thought struck me at this moment. He is so selfless in being willing to do this. And he never seems to be upset that he is giving up his hard earned income for us. He never seems bitter that he can't go out and buy some huge, fun man toy. He seems totally content to let me manage the money and buy diapers and food and other boring things.
I felt that by earning money for his family, Handsome Husband was also fulfilling a higher purpose. That by supporting us, he is given that much more drive and satisfaction. I am so thankful for God's plan and the roles that He has set for us. In providing for the necessities of life, Handsome Husband is being fulfilled and he is happy. He is concerned about us and that puts him outside of himself every day that he goes to work.

I'm not very good at putting the feelings that I had into words, but I felt a gratitude for my husband and his willingness to serve us. And I felt a gratitude for God and His wisdom in creating a way for my husband to be fulfilled in our family life. I am also grateful to the Lord for using the moments that I'm trying to teach my children to, in turn, teach me.

4 comments:

Emmy said...

You said this very well, a great tribute.
We are lucky to have good men that do work hard for us.

Cpt Naykid said...

It is my pleasure. I had a wonderful example of a father growing up, and the family proclamation really helps outline my duty as a father.

I think it is brilliant, the way Heavenly Father made us, that the greatest satisfaction we can have as parents is fulfilling our responsibilities. Me providing and protecting, and you nurturing and raising the kids.

The plan of salvation is so wonderful, and touches every aspect of our life.

I love you honey, and thanks for being thankful for me! I definitely makes me happy to know you appreciate my contribution to our family. Just know that the feeling is mutual about all your time and effort put into our family and home. you are a wonderful mother.

Love you!

Whitney the Wifey said...

I loved this post! I completely agree with you. It is amazing to see the selflessness of husbands and dads as they work for their families!

V said...

Great post! I think you put it into words very well.