Marriage is a solemn responsibility. That doesn't sound very romantic, but you need the kind of love that gets you through the hard times together. President Hinckley said that true love is an anxious concern for your spouse.
There is no ONE true love. You should pray to love the one that you are married to. You DO control who you love. There is no falling out of love, only falling into selfishness and sin. As you honor your temple covenants, your spouse will become dearer to you. You need to worry more about your spouse's happiness than your own. Strive to make your spouse HAPPY, not better. When your spouse is happy they will tend to improve themselves.
Here is a list of ways to enrich your marriage:
- Hold hands
- Say "I love you" often
- Wink when you see each other across the room: flirt.
- Kiss often. A kiss brings you so close you can't see the other's faults.
- Control your tongue and avoid sarcasm
- Speak softly
- Say "I'm sorry"
- Forgive your spouse
- Overlook their faults
- Give compliments
- Do not use the silent treatment
- Listen
- Laugh together
- Show trust and be trustworthy
- Say "Thank you" and be specific
- Share everything
- Find ways to be together
- Attend the temple together
- Pray together for your marriage
It was also suggested that you ask your spouse:
What can I do to help? How can I better spouse? How can I serve you?
Think and act like Christ towards your spouse.
I have to say that as I was listening to this talk I was thinking about my wonderful husband. He already asks "How can I help?" every day. He is such an example to me. I hope to be as good a companion to him as he is to me some day. He is so wonderful at serving and striving to make me happy. I know that I need to think more often about what I can do to make him happy in return. I do not know how anyone could be more happy in their marriage than I am in mine. I am so thankful to be blessed with such an amazing, patient husband.
Here are some pictures of Handsome Husband and Sweetie cuddling on the couch today after church:
8 comments:
Hey Erika - found you through Margene's blog. Just wanted to say thanks for posting this! We didn't get to go to the adult session because of all the sickies in our house, so it was great to get to read your take on it.
Great list! Thank you for sharing.
What great timing for me to read this. :)
We are both so lucky to be married to such amazing men and who are incredible fathers! This is a great list to live by. It is nice to see that Fernando and I pretty much have been able to follow this list rather well. It is wonderful to be in a happy marriage.
Hey Erika!! I found your blog in the most RANDOM way! I would love to tell you what a small world it is. email me at ericasnow@byu.edu...I would love to catch up with you and Joseph--and send you an invite to our blog!
Erika I LOVE this post. I marked it so I can reference the list often...seriously, thanks for sharing this.
2 parts of the list cracked me up:
-"Marriage is a solemn responsibility. That doesn't sound very romantic." This is a really good point!! I just loved how honestly you stated it.
-Your list you talked about "Kiss often" then "control your tongue..." I totally gasped aloud thinking 'what list is this?'...but then I read further. haha.
love you guys!
Hahahaha Val! That's awesome. Control your tongue...
Great list honey. Sounds like I would have enjoyed it. As for me asking how to help and make you happy, I must give credit to my mom. She trained me well, and my dad always pointed out where he could help and be of service. To lead is to serve, and you love those whom you serve. It naturally goes together, the more you serve the more you love. I think couples spend so much time serving children, they forget about one another. The church has a great order to follow:
(1) god
(2) spouse
(3) kids
Follow that order, and you'll always be good.
I love you honey and think you are a wonderful spouse. Thanks for the nice compliments!
Post a Comment