Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Living During the Recession

I thought I should record what it is like for me to live during this recession. About two years ago, Handsome Husband and I decided that we needed to get serious about getting out of debt. We started doing the Grocery Game to save money on our groceries. And we read Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover and were very motivated (we still are and we've made lots of headway, but we could do better). It seems like right around that time, it started to become vogue to save money and to be more frugal. As these two years have passed the talk about the recession has grown. Popular TV shows (like The Office) featured shows about lay offs and downsizing. Many conversations include the phrase "in this economy" when talking about whether we can buy something or travel somewhere. Even radio and TV commercials talk about how "in this economy" every dollar is important. The value of the US dollar seems to be falling.

I have many friends whose husbands have been laid off and have been unemployed for months on end. People who are perfectly qualified for good paying jobs end up settling for something paying far below what they are worth. Good jobs are hard to find and I thank God every day in my prayers for Handsome Husband's job. Practically everyone I know is upside down in their house, others have had to foreclose or hope for a short sale. There are signs everywhere for houses for sale, but most sit on the market for months or years without selling.

I was never interested in politics before this recession, but I have become more interested and willing to listen. It is not boring anymore. The government is trying to help by creating more jobs. There are more road construction projects than ever, but small businesses are closing. Small businesses like our favorite restaurant Costa Vida and the Mommy and Me Cafe. Taxes are going up for small businesses, so there will probably be more that close. It seems like the government just wants to take over everything and make us into a socialist nation. Some people like that. And I admit that I do like feeling safe, but there comes a point where government is so powerful and has a hand in every part of your life and you no longer feel safe from the government. Government stops protecting and starts encroaching. And is it really the government's job to protect?

I have tried emailing my Senators only to get emails back saying that they disagree with my point of view and give me a huge email explaining why their opinion is better than mine. How can I be represented if my Senator doesn't agree with me? I was not happy when Universal Healthcare was passed. One of the lead Democratic Senators against the Healthcare bill was swayed when the President signed an Executive Order that government funds wouldn't pay for abortions. Now, five months later, government funds are being used to fund abortions in a couple of states. I hear about lies and deceit in the lead offices governing our country. I feel powerless to do anything about it.

Right now, the talk is all about "being green." We take reusable bags to the grocery store (when we remember) to save on the waste of plastic bags. We are supposed to be using florescent lightbulbs (that cast terrible light) because they last longer. The government is really pushing the use of green energy, even though it is more expensive and not as powerful as natural resources. Hybrid cars that use both electricity and gas are the new thing. There's a big deal made about our "carbon footprint" which I think means how much carbon our activities leave on the earth. But really, the meaning is kind of fuzzy. Everything is made into an "earth" issue. I respect our planet, but I don't worship it. The planet is here for US and we need to use it responsibly, but we don't need to apologize to the earth for living.

As prices rise on goods and energy, but fall on houses and assets, I pray that my family will be able to stay afloat. I am grateful for a living prophet who counsels us to get out of debt, to save for a rainy day and to be prepared with a food storage. Hopefully, we can get our house in order and be able to weather whatever storm will come from the evil conspiring of men.

2 comments:

Summer said...

It's irreverent, but my husband and I were joking about how all the "Green" people were driving "smart"cars, and how car accident fatalities have skyrocketed with the growing popularity of these teeny vehicles. We wondered if environmentalists think the tues form of being green is to die in their smart cars and start leaving no carbon footprints at all. (Awful- I know, hee hee.)

Cpt Naykid said...

I think it is great to document how we are approaching the recessionary period. It is always during these times that the words of the living prophets carry so much weight. Our environment of luxury and productivity makes it easy to forget their cautionary warnings. I am glad that we are seeking to live their counsel.