Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Let the Homeschooling Begin!

I've been threatening homeschool for some time now and it just so happened that some curriculum fell into my lap. Well, sort of. I've been following a blog about a mom who is using Sonlight (she is also a talented photographer and a picture she submitted is being used on the cover of the Sonlight catalog!). So I've looked into that and asked the opinions of others and I've heard really good things about it. When I did the preschool last year it took SO LONG to put a lesson together and while I LOVED the fairy tale unit that we did, I realized that I would be completely burnt out if I tried to make up my own curriculum. I'm sure that as we homeschool things will change and evolve, but I am excited to start with a good curriculum.

Every so often I check craigslist for deals on things and I happened to check and see if anyone was selling the Sonlight curriculum that I wanted to use. And low and behold, there it was! So I bought the curriculum for almost a quarter of the price and I just need to get the consumable workbooks and a couple of missing books! Baby Dragon was super excited when we went to go pick up her school books and she wanted to get started right away. I had meant to wait until after Captain Adorable was born, but really, what else am I going to do with my time (5 more days until my due date!)? So we started yesterday. Below Baby Dragon is posing with some of her school books and her "F" sheet. That's our letter of the week. That was her favorite part, learning to write F and drawing pictures of words that started with F. She actually tried drawing a fox, a frog and a fridge with food. I was really proud of her. She was super excited that she got to be a "kitchen helper" and wipe the counters and table. She told me that Mercy (her imaginary friend) was also a kitchen helper at her house and that Mercy's mom helped her to read her school books, too.
After our school lessons Baby Dragon wanted to have a pretend picnic, so we sat on the table cloth on the floor and shared some fruit snacks and marshmallows and then she set up a "parade" (garage sale). She wanted me to come and choose something to buy. She kept everything out for her babysitter-pon, so she could play too.
I went to the midwife and I'm dilated to a 3 1/2!!!! And I'm 70% effaced! She stripped my membranes for me and I felt crampy yesterday. We went for a walk as a family for FHE-- actually Handsome Husband roller bladed while Baby Dragon learned to use her BIKE with training wheels (we got it for free at a ward swap). Sweetie had fun pushing her tricycle around instead of riding it. Afterwards, I went grocery shopping for an hour, but all that walking still did not bring on labor...

Today we had our 2nd day of homeschooling. It didn't go as well as the first day because I told Baby Dragon that we could make some stepping stones (that we've been meaning to make for forever) after we were done with school. That made it so she couldn't focus on school and just wanted to be done so we could do the stones!!! At least the stones were a success!
I wanted their handprints on the stones and then I let them do whatever they wanted after that. Baby Dragon loved that.
Sweetie needed a little more supervision, so I didn't get as many pictures. She was pushing the glass pieces in a little too far and one made it into her handprint. Her stepping stone will be quite a bit more uneven... But she really enjoyed making hers as well.
After our art project we went to the library to walk around the duck pond. I actually had the girls walk instead of riding in the stroller and poor Sweetie got tired. She wanted to sit on my foot and ride on my leg like she does with Daddy when I told her I couldn't carry her. She was also really scared of the lawn mower guy and kept trying to get me to carry her when we were near him. I think I got maybe two good contractions the whole time we were walking. We went to Costco to get some ice cream and lunch. I've been doing things all wrong with my kids! If you want them to be good while you walk around a store, feed them first! Don't wait until the end and give them the ice cream as a treat!!! Hahaha! The girls were so good while I pushed them around and got more walking time in. Unfortunately, the walking has yet to induce labor. I keep thinking that I'm sitting at a 3 1/2! Is this going to be a fast labor?? Why isn't it starting already? My mom actually told me that Handsome Husband should look up tips on delivering a baby, just in case it's that fast!!! Hahaha! Apparently, when Handsome Husband was born he was practically delivered in the hospital hallway. Anyway, I'm pretty anxious for labor to start. I'm sure I'll be thinking I was crazy once transition kicks in though!

4 comments:

Emmy said...

Cute Stones! I don't know how you can do it, especially with a younger one and one about to come! You must have more energy and patience than I do :)

Summer said...

I've never thought of looking on Craigslist of curriculum- great idea!

Wow- what a lot of fun- I've never heard of stepping stones! How on earth?? Do you figure all the supplies out seperately?

3 and 1/2 isn't too bad- I was that for a month for both pregnancies, and up to a 6 a week before! It does make for quick labor- so that'll be good, huh? ;D Here's hoping!

Erika said...

Summer- the supplies came in a kit I got at Joann. Apparently you can reuse the mold and we had a ton of the glass left over, so if I can get my hands on some more of the cement mix, I will probably do one for Cpt. Adorable. :)

WOW! A 6???? I guess I shouldn't expect much with a 3 1/2, huh?

Out-Island Explorers said...

I don't think being anxious for labor to start is crazy :) Because I feel the same way! So if it's crazy, we can be crazy together. I can't wait, and I'm getting so anxious to see when you go into labor, because in my mind that will mean it's even closer for me :) (no pressure---haha).

You look great by the way!!! Yay for Prego Buddies :)