Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Doula

For Captain Adorable's birth I knew from the start that I wanted to try natural childbirth. I knew that I wanted a doula, if possible. I was SO blessed to find Endre. She was advertising on craigslist that she needed to attend some births to get her certification and was offering her services free of charge. I was so happy when she said that she could attend mine, especially after learning that she was also LDS. It helps to make you feel more comfortable when someone shares your beliefs. Endre is expecting her fourth child, so when she was attending me, we both had baby bellies!

Having a doula is WONDERFUL. It's like having a personal trainer while you are in labor. See, you could go work out at the gym by yourself and be totally fine. But if you have a personal trainer you get better results, faster. Right? Endre was great. She helped Handsome Husband really feel like he was part of the labor, giving him specific things to do. I did most of my laboring while hugging him and that was an experience that bonded me to him even more than I was before. Endre was so attentive and was always ready to suggest a new position or to give advice when I needed it. She had visited me three times before the birth and had a good grasp of what I wanted to have happen. I was able to depend on her experience of attending births, so she could help assess whether I should be heading to the hospital or not based on the way I was laboring (I wanted to do most of my laboring at home). She helped to coach me and encourage me. When I moaned, she moaned with me. When I swayed she swayed with me and reminded me to drop into my pelvis. She rubbed and massaged my back. She put my hair up and put cold washcloths on me. She reassured me that I was "doing it right." It was so wonderful to have her reassurance. Handsome Husband loved that he was given a way to help me and I believe it helped him feel empowered. My aunt Abra was also there and she took her cues from Endre and helped rub me and reassure me. I felt surrounded by love.
I would recommend a doula to anyone who is having a baby. I would recommend Endre to anyone having a baby locally (except she won't be offering her services for a while since her baby is due next month). When I have my next baby, I will be calling her.
I was going to post my birth story on this blog, but when I typed it up it was about 5 pages long... I tend to be a little detailed, especially when writing for my own record. If anyone is interested in reading the full story, please let me know and I'll email it to you. :)

5 comments:

StefanieJinelle said...

Hm, do you think I should get a doula? haha. Mom asked me the other day if I knew anything about labor or if the doctor has said anything to me. I told her no. And she asked me if I knew the stages of labor? I asked, "There are stages?!" Ha. Yeah. Smart.

Erika said...

I know that Holly had a doula that is also working towards her certification. Maybe you could get her doula? And maybe you should do a little reading about childbirth... :)

V said...

Endre sounds amazing!

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

I'd love to read your story, if you want to e-mail it to me when you have a chance. :)

It sounds like you're doing so well as a family! Congratulations again! (I'd love to hear Cpt. A's real name, too, if you want to tuck that in the e-mail.)

Our little boy arrived August 17th, so I'll put all that info up on my blog soon. :)

Blessings,
Michele

Cpt Naykid said...

Thank you Endre! She offered great advice, great support, great encouragement, etc. She helped me feel more useful. I actually felt fairly useful until Erika was doing the real pushing in the hospital. At that point I definitely felt lost. All I could think of doing was rubbing your back or holding your hand. I felt inadequate.

In the end I am glad everything went so well and there were no complications. I am so grateful for a successful birth process!