My sweet sister Stefanie gave birth to her daughter, Olivia, this last week. When she was deciding whether or not to keep her baby (she's single), I mentioned it on my blog. A very good friend of Handsome Husband's and mine emailed me after she read the post. Val said that she wasn't sure if she should contact me, but she told me that they were hoping to adopt. I immediately wanted to suggest them to my sister, knowing what incredible people they are.
Dustinn has been friends with Handsome Husband since high school. Then when we were all out at BYU he used to come over for games all the time. We fell in love with Val as soon as Dustinn started dating her. Later we moved in with my parents while Handsome Husband was finishing BYU.
Dustinn and Val and other friends used to come over and play games with us. Stefanie met them then. When Dustinn and Val got married they were nice enough to let me experiment and shoot their wedding video (my first ever). Stefanie helped me edit their wedding video.
Here's an example of the fun people that they are. They often came over for games and to watch BYU football when we lived and worked at a motel, rescuing us since we couldn't leave together without paying someone else to watch the motel. There were a handful of times that they would call and ask if we wanted to play games and we'd say yes and one second later we'd hear a knock on our door! We always loved having them over.
It's been about 4 years since we moved away and Dustinn and Val were able to have one biological child (he's 2 now). They had just BARELY been approved to adopt thru LDS Family Services when Val contacted me. I had been talking to Stefanie while I visited in March and knew that she was just starting to consider adoption. So I went ahead and forwarded the email from Val, biting my fingernails and hoping that Stefanie would consider them.
Stefanie made the difficult decision to give her baby to them via adoption. It gave her peace that she personally knew the couple and knew that they were wonderful people. It's been incredible to see their relationship grow these past few months. She surprised Dustinn and Val with the news that she'd chosen them by sending a package that also announced that they were having a girl (she'd secretly found out). Stefanie flew out to visit them (they don't live in Utah anymore) and they got a 3D ultrasound while she was there. Dustinn and Val were there when she gave birth.
They gave her (and the birth father) a teddy bear and they plan to take pictures of Olivia next to an identical bear so that they can see how big she's getting. Isn't that sweet? It's going to be a fairly open adoption, Stefanie is wanting to fly out for Olivia's birthdays and such. I am so happy that Dustinn and Val have really embraced my sister. I know that they love her. I know that this is such a hard thing for Stefanie and I cry when I think about it, but I know that Dustinn and Val will raise Olivia in the best way possible. And now I'll get to see my biological niece grow up. We now feel like our good friends are part of our family.
8 comments:
Hey, Thanks for posting this. It means a lot. It makes me all teary eyed and such. Not that I haven't been crying for the past 4 days, straight. But Olivia is beautiful and I know Dustinn and Val will take great care of her. :)
Each day it gets a little bit easier and feeling more at peace. And remembering that this is the best decision for her. Even though I'd like to just fall apart and still be her mommy I know this is what's best for her. Val and Dustinn will be awesome parents.
Thanks for being there and being a great support Erika. Love you :)
I think Stef is amazing! You all are!
That is so amazing:) Thanks for sharing this post. Val is an amazing person and is such a great Mom and friend. I can't wait until she and baby come home to VA.
What a sweet post. Good luck to all of you- and congratulations. :)
So happy it all worked out so well.
Aww! That was a sweet story. I didn't know that was how she placed. Nice to have someone that you trust and know are good people! I know that makes her feel a little at ease. Even though I know it's hard for her. It has to be be fantastic to have such a good support system though. I know she appreciates it:)
OH MY...how hard for such a sweet young woman. But a dear treasure for this couple. Sending much love to your sister.
A fabulous job to Stef, and a congratulations to Dustinn and Val. Now you're family!
I am so glad that things have worked out so well and hope that this continues to be a blessing.
Olivia, your mommy loves you, and you have a family that will raise you in a wonderful environment surrounded by the restored gospel. What a blessing!
Congrats again to all involved. So amazing that a blog post helped set so many things in motion.
Post a Comment