Having a third child means that you can't just sit and hold the baby all day like you could with the first. You get up and carry the baby and take him with you wherever you go (when he won't sleep in the swing). Even though Captain Adorable is still pretty small, my arms got tired and my shoulders ached. I have a Baby Bjorn, but he's too little and doesn't have the head control for it yet. Sweetie loved the Bjorn. I wanted to have a way of carrying my baby without using my arms.
I have some friends who advocate babywearing, but it's taken a while for me to warm up to the idea. Using a wrap or sling always seemed to look a little hippie-ish to me. That's why I preferred my Bjorn. But I decided to try out a wrap since it seemed to fit my needs better. I felt like it would balance the weight of the baby better than a sling. I watched a tutorial on youtube that was recommended by my doula and I borrowed a "Sleepy Wrap" (basically a Moby Wrap) from a friend.
We LOVE it! It's so cute when Handsome Husband wears it- I had him model.
With the wrap Captain A gets to be carried close to us and he sleeps really well in it. I was tidying the other day and he just wanted his head poked out so he could quietly watch what I was doing.
I went online and read about the really awesome benefits of babywearing. Basically: the babies cry less, learn more, are more organized, get "humanized" earlier, and are smarter. You can read what I read here. I believe we'll be getting our own wrap soon and be using it for quite some time.
8 comments:
There was a lady that I saw that had a homemade one...
1. it just looked like a sash was tied around her entire torso.
2. chubs were poking out of it (not so attractive)
3. the baby honestly looked like it was about fall out.
I was scared.
I made my own and it worked out really well. I made it for $6, that was the best part. :)
my SIL made me a moby wrap for sol and it was a LIFE saver!! anytime he got a bit fussy and everything else had been taken care of (diaper change, feeding, etc.) i'd put him in the wrap and do the dishes. the sound of the water would calm him down and he loved to feel me moving around. i used it constantly until he was about 6-8 months. you really can make your own for quite cheaply, but you have to make sure that the fabric you get isn't TOO stretchy or you will be constantly re-tying it because it stretches too much when you move. good luck! i plan on using mine with this new baby too.
Glad you are trying out baby wearing....our Moby wrap was a lifesaver when Rachel was a newborn. It would chill her out instantly and normally she would fall asleep right away. It takes some getting used to but it's so worth it.
I can't believe he is a month already-wow!!! He is just a darling!
I have a bjorn & sling but I plan on buying a Moby Wrap to try it because babies always seem so happy and comfortable in them.
(Great post! Very informative & helpful.)
That is cute and I completely agree, I thought of slings as kind of hippie-ish too :) But if we have another I think I am all for it.
I totally love how you used the term "hippie-ish". I find myself using that now.
He looks very comfortable. Thanks for the info.
I must admit that I felt awkward wearing it in public. I feel much more manly wearing the bjorn. So I'll to the wrap (but only at home). I guess I am not as confident in my masculinity as I thought I was!
Post a Comment