Monday, June 1, 2009

Loving the Oregon Coast!

Last weekend Handsome Husband and I had our first vacation without the kids since Sweetie was born.   We were celebrating our 7th anniversary. Handsome Husband's parents were willing to watch the kids for us and they hooked us up with a timeshare hotel room at Seaside, Oregon.  Our first stop at the coast was Hug Point.  I'd seen a picture of the little waterfall and really wanted to visit it.  It was a beautiful beach and it was fairly deserted.  Here is a cave right by the falls:  And the falls itself:We enjoyed our lunch right next to them.
Here I am standing above the falls:
We visited at lowtide and we were on the look out for some good shells.  Handsome Husband was eager to see what he could find.
He found a family of starfish!
This is a little alcove carved out by the wind.  You could climb back behind that rock that Handsome Husband is on.  Here he's being himself...

We stopped by Arcadia Beach, but it wasn't as fun as Hug Point, not as many places to explore.
It was a pretty day, in the 70's and breezy.  We needed our jackets.
We also stopped at Cannon Beach, but I was really feeling all the walking and was pretty tired.  We decided to go check into our room.  After checking in at the resort we played some pool.  I'd forgotten how fun that is, even though I'm terrible at it.
We ate at Norma's Ocean Diner.  I got crab legs!  I love crab legs and I haven't had them in forever!  SOOO tasty!We walked along Broadway and stopped in a few shops.  Here we are at the famous turn about point.

In front of the statue of Lewis and Clark.  Seaside marks the end of their trail. 
Afterwards I was really feeling the pressure from all that walking.  I hadn't realized that pregnancy can limit you so much when you are just WALKING.  We went to the pool and it was great to feel weightless and relieve the pressure!

The next morning we went exploring along Seaside beach. Handsome Husband found a live sand dollar.  He seemed to be determined to find a whole one.  He returned this one to the sea.You can see the sand dollars' "feet" here:
I found a whole sand dollar!  It was mostly dead, just not completely dried out.  The brown in the middle is gone now that it's dry.
Handsome Husband found this cool shell.  We were excited to show it to the kids.
After checking out of our room we did some window shopping at Cannon Beach.
You can see how tired I look here.  My back was so sore from all the walking!
I wasn't too sure that we'd have that great of a time since to me the beach is always the most fun when you are watching the kids have fun in the sand.  But it was so nice to spend so much one on one time with my husband!  It reminded me of our early married days before kids and I really got to focus on him.  I'm sure he appreciated my undivided attention as much as I appreciated his!  It was fun to be able to browse the shops without worrying about cranky kids who needed naps (although I was the one who needed a nap!).  But I definitely felt the most comfortable when we walked into the toy stores and candy shops, surrounded by the noise and busyness of children.  The only things we bought were little trinkets for the kids.  I was excited to get back to my kids, but so very grateful for the time spent with my Handsome Husband!

5 comments:

what kind of a name is abra said...

Hug Point is our favorite beach, that is always where we go on day trips. I think most of the memories the boys have of the beach are from Hug Point. Can I just say how much I LOVE your camera!!!! Such amazing pictures, the color and clarity are so great!

StefanieJinelle said...

I am totally craving the beach right now. I don't even crave food anymore. It's places. ha.

Cpt Naykid said...

The Oregon coast was a blast honey! Thanks for letting me walk you around everywhere. I loved seeing all the beaches and choosing our favorite. Hug Point is definitely the top on my list. It has the waterfall, caves, rocks, tide pools, river, etc. It is the motherload!

I must say I took an awesome picture of your feet along the sand. Yeah, I rock...

Thank you for a wonderful anniversary present and being a wonderful companion. I had a blast and would love to return to the fun sites. Love you!

V said...

The coast is SO BEAUTIFUL!! It looks like a very romantic vacation (and could also be a Babymoon!)

rachel said...

I am sooooo jealous!! We have our 10th (can you believe it??) next year and I hope we can go do something fun. I'm going to have to start searching for places in my neck of the woods to enjoy. I'm glad you had so much fun!