Thursday, June 4, 2009

Our Garden

This year we put a square foot garden in our backyard.  It cost us around $75 for the set up. Handsome Husband went and bought the wood, peat moss, compost and vermiculite(the white stuff).  He built the box measuring 4 feet by 4 feet, it sits above ground.  Then he put down a
 weed barrier, mixed the 3 soil components and added a little lattice thing on top to divide the boxes.  We planted leaf lettuce, bush beans, corn, and cucumbers from seed.  The girls loved putting the seeds in the ground and they really like to help water the garden. I also planted some strawberry plants, but they haven't grown, so I think I did it wrong.  You can see the lovely bean plants here:
Handsome Husband and Baby Dragon are harvesting lettuce for our dinner:
The plants have really taken off with all the heat and sun we've been getting.  I wonder if I put too many seeds in each box because some of them look crowded.

4 comments:

Jeana said...

yum I wish I had a garden. perhaps when I get a house and a yard someday....

V said...

I love the sectional dividers. You guys have done a great job!
And Jeana, I second your sentiment. =)

Stephanie said...

Wow, your garden is kicking my garden's trash. :)

Cpt Naykid said...

Our first attempt at a garden has been a success! Since we grow our own salad, the girls actually eat it! I love that. I am sure that the more we grow, the more things they will eat.

Speaking of which, I think we may need to harvest some more lettuce.