Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Crashing
Posted by
Erika
at
8:28 PM
You know how you get a high from holidays? Well, I'm just on the other side of that. Adjusting to being a full time Mommy again. It was nice to have a break, to have so many extra hands to care for the kids, to have the space for them to run and be in the same house, but not be heard. Now we're in close quarters again. I'm a little on the crazy side, close to tears and not great at talking without snapping. Mornings are the hardest. But I think things are slowly getting better. I enjoyed hearing little voices giggling in the bathtub, blowing bubbles in the water tonight. I waited with anticipation for Cpt. Adorable to wake up so I could cuddle and nurse him this afternoon. I'm going to miss that. Dang radiation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
It always seems like we need vacation after our vacation to get back into the swing of things, doesn't it?
I don't know if you've heard of this, but I was curious and thought you'd be interested: http://www.kellymom.com/health/thyroid/thyroid-treatment.html
It talks about pumping till you can breastfeed again, but also about having your milk tested for radiation and says that you can store the milk you do pump and after the appropriate amount of time has passed, it is safe to use!
I keep looking at Becca while nursing thinking, "Really? Am I really done? Could this be the last time I nurse a baby?" I don't really know if we're done, but it's definitely likely. :) I can only imagine how you must feel, having to stop nursing before your ready. Maybe you'll be able to work it out so you can still nurse once it's safe?! Here's hoping for you!
Thanks Abby! That was good for me to read through. But unfortunately, the therapy that I need is the one that "the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission recommends complete weaning after." But I may look into freezing the milk that I pump until it is safe. Although, I'm not sure how to do that without exposing all the other things in the freezer to radiation. Bleh, it's so complicated.
Oh how blah! Bummer! Of course, in the grand scheme of things it's pretty amazing and wonderful that you'll be able to get the treatment to get rid of the cancer! I bet it makes the time you have nursing now super sweet.
Sorry the transition has been challenging. If it helps any, I had a really hard time getting back into things at work as well. Vacations are wonderful, spending time with family helps me put in perspective why I go to work. But it is still hard to come back.
On the nursing thing, I know it will be hard to ween before you are ready. However, there is a good side to this too. I can be more invovled, leaving the baby with a babysitter will be easier, and you will be able to get back on your diet. Sometimes looking at the pros and lessen the impact of the cons.
Love you, let me know how I can help.
I am so sorry. I wish you weren't having to deal with all of this right now.
If I lived even remotely close to you I would help out in the mornings, mornings are good for me.. it is the afternoon that my kids had better watch out.
Love ya girl! Hang in there through all this crazy stuff.
Hey girl I am thinking about you. I am sorry you are struggling. I wish I was closer to help out more.... Remember you can call me any time when you need to talk. By the way absolutely LOVE the new pictures of your adorable kids you took. Too cute!!!!
All I want to say is that your heart is in the right place and that's all that matters. Your child will thrive off of your love for him years longer than he'll "suffer" from an early weaning. It's okay. You're doing the best you can.
Erika, I keep thinking about my comments and felt like I didn't come across feeling very sympathetic! I am totally with your friend that just commented. Totally. He will thrive for a long time to come and this early weaning is not going to hurt him! Your health (and life!!) is much more important than how long you nurse him. And it's not as if you're no longer feeding him. Just using a different medium. I think you are amazing to be breastfeeding him for this short period, knowing you'll be weaning him soon. It could be so easy to go for doing formula from the beginning since you knew he would get there later. You are a strong woman and a wonderful mother!
Post a Comment