Friday, April 9, 2010

Rock Museum

We went to a local rock and mineral museum for Ballerina's preschool class. I was one of the lucky moms who went. We met at one mom's house. Her dog recently had puppies so the kids got to hold them. Ballerina wanted to name them.Sorry the picture is blurry, but Sweetie was SO excited to hold the puppies:
Here we are at the museum. Notice Ballerina's outfit. It is her "Barbie" outfit, for some reason that's what it reminds her of. The one jumping is one of her best friends. At the end the kids all got to choose one fist-sized rock from the pile to take home.
The tour guide was telling us that this was originally found in a cave (in India, I think) and they took pictures of it, then disassembled it piece by piece and brought it here to reassemble it as it was found:
Capt. Adorable was just great in his stroller.
When driving there I took the little boy in this picture in my car. Poor guy, Ballerina was having him pretend that he fell in love with her and that he thought she was "the most beautifullest girl" he'd ever seen. And she insisted that they just silently stare at each other. I wasn't quite sure what to do with that.
They had some really cool things on display:
This is a massive rock with opal embedded in it:
Phosphorescent rocks. The kids were shouting out what their favorite ones were, Sweetie was shouting the loudest that she liked the orange one (bottom row, 4th from left).
Pretty jade sculptures:
I loved this quartz because I thought it looked like a galaxy:
The kids were a little crazy, but they had a great time.
We took them to the gift shop where they bought little $1 rocks. Ballerina got a hematite because it is like a mirror and you can see yourself in it and she calls it "magital." It is also magnetic.

2 comments:

V said...

'Ballerina insisted that they stare at each other in silence'--she, and the scenario, totally crack me up! She is one of the most beautifulest girls.

Cpt Naykid said...

Looks like fun. Little kids always love rocks. I wonder if my parents still have the rock collection container. They are all nice polished cool rocks.

Yea, if Ballerina begins playing like that with boys again, I think it would be good to move her in a different direction. Boys won't enjoy that, and it is definitely in appropriate at that age. It is innocent, etc., but pretty soon she might be demanding more!

I feel an early teenager coming on...