Thursday, April 29, 2010

Not Always Butterflies and Rainbows

This week has been a little rough with lots of tantrums and fighting. It always starts out nice (in the crazy mess)...Then they find something to fight over. My grandpa says kids will fight over a piece of garbage. So TRUE.
Poor Sweetie.
It blew over soon enough and they were happily watching Max and Ruby together.
Notice Sweetie's Fancy Nancy underwear. I started trying to potty train her today. I took her to Target and she chose the Fancy Nancy underwear and some stickers for a sticker chart. She is almost 3 and a half and this is our first formal attempt. I think it'll take a while because she has no interest and no idea when she's peeing. But I want to try and see, so I'm giving it a week or so and see if there is any improvement. She earned one sticker today. Once she fills up her chart then we'll go out for ice cream. Ballerina is really excited about that part. Sweetie is having a hard time understanding that she only gets the ice cream AFTER the chart is filled with stickers. When I first told her that to earn a sticker she'd have to pee or poop on the potty she said, "No!" Ha, this will be fun.

4 comments:

Abby said...

I still remember complaining to my mom at the dinner table, "Mom -- she's chewing too loud!!" Hahaha. Kids can always find something. Your grandpa is so right.

We've been potty training Esther forEVER, it seems. Started at 3 and she's turning 4 in June. This week I finally did something I'd heard of a few times. I had her go naked from the waist down. We called it "Naked Day" and talked about how it would help her not go potty in her pants. I was also prepared for carpet and floor clean-ups, BUT she didn't have ANY accidents. Something about going down their legs rather than in a diaper or underwear seems to help them not go. And they probably notice faster when they're about to go.

Anyway, I don't if it would be as immediately successful since you're just starting out, but who knows? Maybe it'd work great!

Whatever you do, good luck!!

V said...

Potty training does not sound fun. (We need to do that but this summer is complicated.)
I love your grandpa's quote.
And I love the art (family silhouette) in your blog title. Fun!

Cpt Naykid said...

Ah, sibling rivalry. I am glad we have this documented, because most of your pictures paint us as a perfect family...when that is unfortunately not the case....despite having a perfect wife :)

Michelle said...

We have attempted potty training as well...he wasn't too keen on the idea. I guess he just isn't ready yet.

I love the pictures of sibling rivalry. That happens all the time at our house. A lot of times the rivalry follows in lots of time outs and yelling from me. Where is the line? When should parents get involved when ignoring the petty arguments?