Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Mercy and Respect

Baby Dragon made a new friend yesterday.  Mercy is 4 years old and big like Baby Dragon.  Yesterday she had a pink shirt and purple pants. She comes over to visit whenever Baby Dragon wants her to and she can tell her parents what to do.  She has blonde hair and blue eyes (they were brown, but they changed colors).  

Mercy is imaginary.  Today a new friend with brown hair and yellow eyes came over as well, but her name changes so I can't figure it out.

We have been holed up a little in our house because Sweetie had a fever last week, Baby Dragon had horrible stomach cramps on Friday (we actually took her to the ER thinking it was something really serious) and then Sweetie came down with the croup on Sunday. I'm starting to get a little bit of a cough now... It looks like some sickness is hitting late in the season. I think Baby Dragon is trying to cope with boredom and lack of playmates.  She had gotten so used to seeing friends her age two times a week from preschool.  It's too bad that she doesn't take as much advantage of Sweetie-- her live-in playmate-- as she should.  We have started going to the library two times a week again for our walks, but there really isn't much interaction with other kids.  Yesterday we were caught in a rain/hail shower in the middle of our walk, so I ordered a rain cover for the stroller today.

Baby Dragon has been particularly bossy and disrespectful.  I've tried to explain that one of the ten commandments is to honor your parents.  She doesn't believe me.  She gives me dirty looks, she doesn't listen, and she tries to convince me with her four year old logic why she should be able to do something that I told her she couldn't.  This is one of the reasons that her friend Mercy can tell her parents what to do, because we keep telling Baby Dragon that she can't.

Baby Dragon's stomach talks to her.  It tells her what she wants to eat, what she wants to do and if she is happy.  If I tell her she can't do something she will say, "But my stomach says that's a good thing to do."  I try to tell her that I don't listen to her stomach, that her stomach can't talk and that it doesn't matter what her stomach says.  Handsome Husband asked her where her stomach's mouth is.

I believe it is time for some major time out usage.  We will strictly be enforcing speaking respectfully this week. 

Baby Dragon still has her cute things.  She has created a sanctuary for her unicorns in one corner of the living room.  The castle serves as a wall and she likes to go and hang out with her unicorns.

4 comments:

Cpt Naykid said...

Yes, BD has truly been pushing limits and trying get more control of her surroundings. It brings to mind a certain nephew of mine that thought that at the age of 8, he was a full adult and couldn't be told what to do anymore.

I have ideas of how to explain the scenario and help our kids understand, but the problem is our beaufitul 4 year old doesn't quite grasp the concepts.

We aren't looking to boss and order her around, we're just talking about giving advice and helping her understand right from wrong. That isn't too much to ask, right...?

Cpt Naykid said...

Homeschool vs public school? I know BD would love the interaction with other kids her age. But she doesn't really accept as truth what adults teach her. I know she is only 4, but I think she would be "labeled" a "problem child." I don't want that to become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

On another note, I think she will mature a lot over the next 12 months. She will really be asked to step up and be a big sister when the baby comes.

I love you honey! Hang in there! You are a fabulous mother and you will see your efforts pay dividends!

Lyndi said...

Oh man, I totally feel for you. Everyone talks about the terrible twos but I feel like it started when he was four! And honestly, it's continued into five. Aiden has definitely been testing the boundaries with what he can get away with saying and also testing ways he can express his anger. Oh and he also doesn't believe anything I say. He thinks he knows everything. Then he tries to find ways to prove that I'm wrong. The other day I told him he needed to put his bike away so it wouldn't get stolen. He explained to me why that wouldn't happen. Later that day when we got home (and I'm noticing that the bike is still not put away) Aiden points out that it didn't get stolen so therefore I am wrong. Clearly I know nothing. :)

rachel said...

Hahaha! That is stinkin' hilarious! (Okay, not so hilarious when you are in the moment and dealing with it.) You gotta love kids and their logic! Soph tries to boss us around and Ryan always asks her, "Who's the boss?" She always replies with "Mommy or Daddy" but obviously still doesn't get it. Let me know when you have this one figured out. :)