My plan is to try to go natural. I never saw myself as the natural type. I was induced for both my girls. With Baby Dragon I was induced 2 weeks early because of high blood pressure. Aside from being on magnesium sulfate (which made me horribly nauseous and made me see double) it was a great labor and delivery. Lasted 9 hours and I didn't feel a thing. So I figured induction was the way to go. I elected to be induced 1 week early with Sweetie. My mom flew in the day of the induction and made it in time for the delivery. It was another 9 hour labor (the last 2 being the hardest), but it was not so pain free. The anesthesiologist had to stick me 2 times to get the epidural in and it did not take on one side (I have scoliosis). I was fine until transition. Then I was crying with every contraction. When it came time to push I could feel the one side and scared, but when the midwife told me to push through the pain, I realized that I could do that and that it actually helped. I think that I felt empowered that I could deliver SOMEWHAT naturally. I was on a high for a couple of hours following Sweetie's delivery. I did have a HUGE bruise on my back from the epidural and didn't like having to deal with a sore back.
At the end of my pregnancy with Sweetie I remember wondering what it would be like to go into labor on my own. I figured that if I wanted to experience that when I was 39 weeks pregnant that I would probably feel that way with my next pregnancy. So I am not going to be induced this time. I think it will be exciting to be able to say, "It's time!" and rush off to the hospital. I also decided that if I could make it through labor halfway medicated, that I should give natural childbirth a shot. I am prone to think that my labor MIGHT be faster if it comes naturally when my body is more ready for it. But I guess we'll see! I think this baby will be bigger (BD was 5.12. and Sweetie was 6.7.) because he'll probably come later, closer to 40 weeks. I will also have a doula this time around. I'm looking forward to having the extra help.
This will also be my least attended birth. With Baby Dragon 2 of my sisters were there, along with my mom and Handsome Husband. With Sweetie 1 of my sisters, my mom, my aunt Abra and Handsome Husband were there. With this one it'll just Handsome Husband, my aunt Abra and the doula. Since we aren't inducing we just can't have my mom be there when it happens. I don't want her to fly out and then have to leave without the baby being born (she works)! I like having a lot of people there because it feels like a big celebration when the baby comes.
6 comments:
Hey girl!! You look adorable! I'm excited that you're going to give natural birth a shot. I tried that with Joss... I still have mixed feelings with the choices the doctors made which I feel caused me to have the c-section...but I'm determined to try it natural again this time around. I KNOW you can do it!!! Especially with this being your 3rd-- man, you're a pro :)
Thanks for posting the cute belly shots--after all this time of joking about being prego buddies-- I can't believe we actually are :)
Love ya girl!
Yep, we talked about this on the phone. And I am a wimp. I'll definitely be getting an epidural. And you look SO pregnant. I'm jealous. I just look like I eat a million hamburgers at JCW's everyday.
Hey beautiful! I am glad that your pregnancy has been uneventful and hope that things continue smoothly. I look forward to the phone call saying, "honey, it's time!" I am excited to have a boy and I know our girls will be thrilled. I know you'll do great having the baby.
Just remember that I have been "involved" in this process :). Oh, and don't resent me too much if I lay down during your 9 hour labor.
Love you!
Regardless, your son's birth is going to be a HUGE celebration. Even if everyone can't be there, I'm sure your whole family, us, and all your friends will be screaming across the states. So exciting.
And you do look GREAT!!!
Sorry I've been so MIA lately with family in town. I'm excited to catch up on your blog!
Hey, I followed the link from Facebook. I love your blog :)
I just (on May 14th) had my little girl naturally, and I totally recommend it! :) It was an amazing experience, and I am still feeling euphoric about it. If you have time, I would recommend taking a Bradley Childbirth class (it's a 12-week course and I'm not sure how long you have), or at least reading the books "Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way" and "Husband-Coached Childbirth." I think the Bradley method made a huge difference in my birth experience.
Good luck with whatever happens in your labor :)
Catherine (from freshman year at BYU)
Natural Labor gets 3 thumbs up from me. I was induced with Cameron and that hurt SO much more than the other 2.
Post a Comment