Now, I have to cook a whole bunch of food FROM SCRATCH for my low-iodine diet. I have to make my own chicken stock/broth (help me!) and everything (no fast food or restaurants allowed). We went to Trader Joe's today and found some salt-free Marinara sauce and stocked up on that so I won't have to make my own spaghetti sauce from scratch (phew!). I did buy some salt-free ketchup. I'm not supposed to use canned foods, bottled foods are preferred. Egg yolks are a no-go. Dairy and soy products are out. So no milk or soy milk. I can't have rice milk or almond milk because they are made with sea salt which has even MORE iodine than regular salt. But hey, I can have soda- just what my slower metabolism will need.
I borrowed a friend's bread maker and have made a few loaves of bread with my non-iodized salt (Ballerina said, "I like this bread even without butter!). I also made some killer focaccia bread that Handsome Husband and I dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. So there are some perks to all this cooking: I am learning how to make some tasty food. Fresh fruits and veggies are fine, but canned ones aren't. I made some cinnamon bread (with a ton of egg whites). I will be able to eat popcorn so I'm going to buy this popcorn machine that makes IRRESISTIBLE popcorn (adding olive oil and non-iodized salt). I will probably have quite a few sweet potatoes and brown sugar (no butter). I can eat potatoes, but not the skins. I need to soak my own beans since canned ones are out. That's a little scary for me. I have yet to put a MEAL together.
A friend of mine is going to come over and cook with me tomorrow. I'm so glad, it'll make it feel less like a chore.
4 comments:
I have a friend who has made her own almond milk and rice milk before before. I remember her saying that almond milk wasn't very hard to make. She would buy raw almonds in bulk and soak them in water in a container over night and then put the water and almonds after soaking all night into a blender and blend until smooth and then strain it through cheese cloth. I don't know if this is something that you would want to do but I found a web page with the instructions. http://www.ehow.com/how_2041161_make-almond-milk.html
just in case you are interested.
so sorry, that would be hard. It is hard enough cooking let alone when there are so many restrictions.
Wow. Just, wow. At least you are learning so great recipes and some great things about cooking. I am so glad you have a friend coming over to cook with you! Maybe you can do that a few different times to get your freezer well-stocked and be ready to go. You're in our thoughts & prayers!
Wow, that would definitely be a challenge. I even got thrown for a loop with my food shopping/prep when my husband was trying to do a low-carb thing. It's so hard to cook "outside of the box." Good luck!!
Post a Comment