Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Jack and the Beanstalk

I am teaching for the last three weeks of preschool.  I'm really excited because I'm teaching about Fairy Tales.  For Jack and the Beanstalk I read two separate books of the story so the kids could see that the same story can be told in different ways.  They really weren't that much different, but it worked.  The kids especially liked saying "Fee Fi Fo Fum."  I gave them each a handful of beans and I showed them a plastic golden egg as I was reading.  Afterwards I served Jell-O beans for snack time.  I used a Jell-O mold from my aunt Abra, I think you can get one on eBay.

Then we planted some beans in a cup.  The kids seemed to like the idea of growing their own beanstalk.

Then we made some chickens out of egg cartons and plastic eggs.  I got the basic idea from this month's FamilyFun magazine (I highly recommend that magazine, by the way). 
Inside the plastic eggs we put a couple of gold-foil wrapped chocolate eggs.  So we made chickens that laid golden eggs.  I'm going to give myself a pat on the back for tying that Easter activity into the lesson. They loved painting their chickens. 
Baby Dragon wanted to pull funny faces for the picture, so this was the best I got.  Please forgive the crazy hair.

4 comments:

V said...

Wish I could be one of your students! =) Great lesson.

StefanieJinelle said...

Valery's hair cracks me up. YAY for preschool!

Jeana said...

such a fun idea! I wish I had half of your creativity and artistic ability! Great job!

Cpt Naykid said...

Fantastic job honey! I know you put a lot of time and planning into these lessons and I know the kids really enjoy them.

Thanks for teaching our girls!