Thursday, July 16, 2009

Independence Day

The last day of our family reunion was celebrating the 4th of July. Every year we go out to a big family party in Molalla. It's pretty much an all day event. Before we went there we went to Handsome Husband's parents' ward breakfast and the girls got their faces painted. They fell asleep on the way to Molalla and were pretty groggy when we arrived. They were still trying to recover from the previous day at the beach!
I got Baby Dragon's headband at the Dollar Tree.
Don't you love Sweetie's hair? I got the idea from a hair blog.
Baby Dragon had a good time playing with one of her baby cousins. She is SO excited for Cpt. Adorable to make his appearance, she will be so good with him.
Eventually Sweetie perked up.We brought water balloons and our little pool for kids under 5. It was SO hot! The girls' cousin was offering rides and they were really excited to hop in the wagon.
Sweetie got out to help push because both girls in the wagon was a little too heavy for him.
Sweetie LOVED the trampoline and threw a massive fit when I pulled her off. She was also insanely tired and really needed a nap.
She ended up going through three 4th of July outfits. In between the trampoline and cuddling with me, Handsome Husband pushed the girls on a merry-go-round and Sweetie ended up losing her lunch all over the 2nd outfit. I was pretty much as exhausted as she was, I had been up and walking too much at the beach and was soooo worn out!
Sweetie and her cousin relaxed together for a little while.
Baby Dragon was really getting into the spirit of things with the American flag.
Sweetie sat on the sidelines and watched while Baby Dragon did some noise poppers with Handsome Husband. Handsome Husband tried to get Baby Dragon to do sparklers, but a tiny spark landed on her and she wouldn't have anything to do with them after that.
Back to the flag waving.
Baby Dragon's face paint was pretty much gone by this time.
Sweetie with the light up bracelets from Grandma J.
Handsome Husband and Baby Dragon with the light stick from Gma L and Papa J.
Kissing Papa while in line for the scones.
Handsome Husband keeping Sweetie entertained.
I didn't attempt to take firework pictures this year, but I'm sure I will in the future. At first both girls were pretty excited about them. Sweetie was cheering and having a great time until they started getting really loud. Then she sat on my lap with her ear pressed to my chest with my hand covering her other ear. She could still see the fireworks out of the corner of her eye. Every time I moved my hand she would grab it and shove it back on her ear. She ended up going to sit with Papa and she fell asleep on his lap in that same position. Baby Dragon sat with Handsome Husband the whole time and she covered her ears, but she actually watched this year. About halfway through she kept asking if it was over and if it was time to go. But she did enjoy the fireworks for the first time in her life! It was a great way to end our family reunion.

2 comments:

V said...

I love that the girls are decked out for the holiday!

Cpt Naykid said...

Thanks for letting me get some volleyball in, the 4th of July event is always a blast!

Oh, so more on Sweetie losing her lunch...the girls wanted to go on the merry-go-round and kept asking to go faster. I always asked Sweetie if it was ok and she said yes. After a few minutes, I said it was the last time and they were getting off--I suspected they were already done but denying it--and just before it slowed down the last time, Sweetie said, "I'm all done." I went to get her off and she immediately lost it. While walking back, shse lost the rest. She didn't cry or anything, I think she was too tired to care. Although BD was quite fascinated.