Thursday, July 16, 2009

Dance Camp

I was sooo excited to sign Baby Dragon up for dance camp. She has been more and more interested in dancing recently. A week before her dance class I took her to Target to choose a leotard. She wore it for 3 days straight.
Here she is on her first day of class. I had to take pictures through a one-way window. She was so good about obeying the teacher! She was SO happy to be there.
Here she is learning how to do a passe.
They colored pictures every day.
During a break I got a couple of pictures of her inside the studio.
Sweetie and I stayed and watched the first day and Sweetie was VERY distraught that she didn't get to go into the dance class as well. Here she's laying on the dance floor I had to carry her out, crying.
Baby Dragon is pretending that she's asleep. The theme of the camp was Sleeping Beauty.
She's being the king and queen with this other girl.
Here she's pretending to be a fairy.
Baby Dragon has been especially loving towards me all week. I'm pretty sure it's because she is so excited to be going to her dance camp.
The 2nd day of camp I didn't plan to stay the whole time. But I had bought Sweetie a dance leotard so she could feel included. The only problem was that Sweetie thought that having a dance costume meant that she could go to dance class. So she had a little melt down when she couldn't go into the class wtih Baby Dragon. I felt SO bad that I made it worse! I took Sweetie to the library so we could do our regular walk and that distracted her well enough. The 3rd day of class I took Sweetie to the park during it. Then today, the last day, we just stayed and watched the whole time again. Sweetie was fine with that today.
We've also been stopping at a local park after dance class where the community offers free lunches for kids aged 1-18. I happened to pass it on the way home from the dance camp the first day and the timing was perfect. So we have done that every day of the camp. Baby Dragon seems to measure whether or not she's had a good time at the park by whether or not anyone would play with her. We ran into friends 2 or 3 of the days and so she was pretty happy, especially one day when a whole group of kids followed her around while she told stories. I have no idea how she got them to do that since her stories are totally nonsensical. Today she was in tears because two girls snubbed her. She was pretty tired as well from such a busy week with dance camp. Sweetie just loved being able to run off and do what she wanted.
So today was Baby Dragon's "recital." All 4 girls in her class wore matching purple leotards with tutus. Here she is being a fairy.
Sweetie wore the crown that Baby Dragon made since it wouldn't stay on Baby Dragon's head.
Baby Dragon is pretending to wake up after being "kissed." It was so cute because the girls were totally giggling during the kissing part.
A little curtsy.
They danced one choreographed number and Baby Dragon did SO well. I was SO impressed.
Here's her passe.
Sweetie got to dance around a bit and she was very excited for her chance to be part of dance class. I should have put her in her leotard. She will probably be SUPER excited to be able to take a dance class in the future.
An older girl came and danced a pointe number for the girls. It was beautiful.
I am excited to put Baby Dragon in regular classes. Not sure if we can do that this fall, but I KNOW that she would just LOVE it.

5 comments:

Bonnie said...

She looks so grown up now:) She is way cute.

Emmy said...

How fun! Alex loves dancing too. I think once Lucas starts school I am going to do a mommy and me ballet class with her.

rachel said...

BD is soooo darling doing all of her dances!! We're still deciding if we're going to go the dance route or the sports route...

V said...

Belle of the ball! I love all the action shots you got of her dancing. She is such a beautiful girl.

Cpt Naykid said...

Congrats BD on a great dance week! I loved seeing how excited she was for it all. I look forward to when she can remember more and we can talk about things. I would ask about her dance class and she never knew what to say.

THanks for taking her honey and for being a wonderful photographer.

Love you!