Thursday, February 5, 2009

When Someone Says Cancer...

...you automatically think of hospitals, death, chemo and hair loss.  Or at least, that's what I think of.  Well, the good news for me is that the particular kind of cancer that I have doesn't involve most of those things.  I have thyroid cancer which is the easiest to treat.   I almost feel like I need to apologize about scaring people with the "cancer" word since it's SO treatable.  Basically, they will remove my whole thyroid and I'll be on synthetic thyroid hormones for the rest of my life.  After the baby is born I'll drink some radioactive iodine and that should kill any free floating thyroid cells.  This will be the hard part because I'll have to be separated from my kids for 5 days to keep them from being exposed to the radiation.  I also won't be able to nurse for a month afterward.  So chances are I'll only be able to nurse this baby for a short time (3 or 4 months- depending on how far out we can push this radioactive iodine thing).   That is difficult for me to accept since I nursed my girls until they were 14 and 18 months.  I will have to be checked every 6 months to a year to make sure the cancer doesn't come back, but with my age and everything, it's pretty rare for that to happen.  

My midwife found the lump (called a nodule) on my thyroid at my initial OB exam.  She said, "How long has that been there?" I had no idea what she was talking about.  Here is the offending thing:
It's about the size of a penny, maybe a little bigger. And that's a little scary since anything bigger than 1 centimeter in diameter is a concern.  Anyway, we are hoping that it's the only one and that it hasn't spread to my lymph nodes.  Things look good so far.  I went to an endocrinologist for a biopsy.  He stuck a needle in it four times (it wasn't so bad) and had a pathologist look at it.

Let me give you an idea of how likely it is that this was going to be cancer.  They say that 12-15 women in the US have these nodules on their thyroids.  That part is pretty common.  But only 5% of those nodules turn out to be cancer.  FIVE PERCENT.  I thought I was pretty safe and wasn't too concerned about it.  Until the doctor called.  

Here is a slide of normal thyroid cells: 
Here are a few slides of papillary thyroid cancer: 
Apparently my cells had enlarged nuclei, with grooving and inclusions, and fingerlike protrusions of the cell.  Classic signs of malignancy.

Oh, and chances of survival are like 96% or better for my age.  My doctor was very quick to reassure me that I will be around for my children and my husband.  That's a good thing since Handsome Husband has been having "awkward" dreams about having to find another wife after I die.  I have a general feeling of peace about it all.  I know that the Lord is here for me and my family and I trust that there is a lesson that He is wanting to teach me in all this.

I meet with the surgeon on Wednesday and will probably have surgery to remove my thyroid in 2-4 weeks (it's safest in the 2nd trimester which starts on Valentine's day for me).

Thank you all for your prayers and your concern.  I am very grateful for a loving and supporting family and for wonderful friends.  I am grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and for the companionship of the Holy Ghost.  The Spirit brings me much peace and hope.  I am grateful for the knowledge of the purpose of life and that I am here to be tried and tested.  I am grateful for my Handsome Husband and his companionship and support because he really helps me to make it through my trials.  He is a constant example to me.  I have been blessed with an overwhelming feeling of gratitude.

10 comments:

Russell and Aya said...

Erika,
I am sorry to hear the news. I hope you have been blessed with peace and comfort in your heart from the Lord.
You are always in our prayer.

rachel said...

I have decided that mom and dad must be feeling a little Job-like. You'd think with 6 girls at least one of us would be healthy!! Anyways, I love you and you are in our prayers. Call anytime if you need to talk (or cry). :)

Abby said...

Wow. You're in our prayers! Here's to a safe and uneventful surgery and no relapses of the cancer later down the line! You say that it is easy to treat but I am still impressed with your attitude toward the whole situation. You're awesome!

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

Oh, Erika,
What tough news! I hope all goes well in the coming months.

By the way, the mom of a girl I went to college with had this, too, when her kids were young. (And she's still alive & healthy- and taking her thyroid meds- years later!)

Blessings,
Michele

ELIZABETH said...

I agree with Rachel's comments.
Also, what a blessing that the midwife noticed that. See...Heavenly Father is totally watching over you and your family.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

ELIZABETH said...

I forgot to mention that I'm totally sympathizing with you on the nursing thing. That would be super hard for me to give up too.
I love nursing...it stinks you'll have to quit kind of early. But some IS better than none.

Whitney the Wifey said...

I hope it all goes okay Erika! We're praying for you!

V said...

Hey Erika...I've been thinking about this pretty much non-stop since I saw your post on Facebook. You have such a phenomenally amazing attitude! And thank you for sharing such personal news with us on your blog. Your baby has already been an angel your family because he/she sent you to the midwife that discovered this. What a sweet blessing your pregnancy is! I am glad to hear that it sounds like you will be okay. Please keep us updated so we can pray for you during your surgery. You are one tough Momma! We love you!

Anonymous said...

You are amazing - I love your attitude. Heavenly Father is definitely watching over you! You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Cpt Naykid said...

Honey, you are awesome and have been a great optimistic attitude! You better not leave me and the kids! :)

As for WHY you have cancer, well, to me it is obvious...you can clearly accept the challenge and the trial, it is ME that needs it through you!

you are a wonderful companion and wife as well as a great example to me. Thank you for being my wife!

Love you!