Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Chewing

I'm getting REALLY SICK of the way Baby Dragon is constantly putting things in her mouth and chewing on them.  She is FOUR.  Sweetie hasn't really had issues with this, but has recently started putting things in her mouth as well.  I think she's picking it up from Baby Dragon.  I'm wondering if there is some kind of chew toy I can buy for Baby Dragon that'll keep her from putting Barbie shoes, barrettes, game pieces, rubber bands, dice, magnets, chapstick lids and other things in her mouth.  Isn't this supposed to be something I should only have to worry about a BABY doing? Not a PRESCHOOLER??? She'll even put other kids' toys in her mouth when we're playing at their house.  Not cool.  She also has calouses built up on the first joints of her pointer and middle fingers because she chews on them.  My mom thought they were WARTS! Any one have any advice!?!?  Is there some medical/psychological reason for this?  Or do I just have to wait for her to grow out of it?

7 comments:

V said...

I love your cute family and all of Baby Dragon's cuteness. Bradshaw is yet to be at an age/stage to be reasoned with....but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway.
I think her desire to chew is okay. And forcing her to quit may cause it to manifest itself with greater frequency and gravity. But you definitely don't want her chewing on the wrong things or other people things. (Maybe you could point to the whatever she is chewing on and say "Don't touch its danger? j/k) I was thinking maybe there is something that would be okay for her to chew on all the time and if she wants to chew it has to be that and cannot be barbie shoes, etc.
...I dunno...

ELIZABETH said...

This is something I haven't heard of before, so I really don't have any great advice. I guess, my opinion would be to agree with the first comment. If her knuckles look like that, it makes me think chewing is her "comfort" thing. Usually, kids pick a blankie or stuffed animal, but it sounds like chewing does something soothing for her, so I wouldn't think you would want to take it away. I would definitely see if you could get her to pick one or two favorite things to chew on and give her free reign on those things. Then, maybe, if she had that one or two designated chew toy she could keep it to just those things...(you may want to let her choose her chew toy) and hopefully, she could keep those toys at home when she goes to preschool or church, and then come home and chew away. I think eventually she would grow out of this and let it go when she is ready too.
This probably isn't very helpful, but just some thoughts I had. GOOD LUCK!

The Three Musketeers and their Mommy said...

Sorry, I really don't have any advice for you. I know that they do sell chew toys for older kids though. I just don't know where to tell you to find it. Good luck!
I haven't looked here for a while and wow, I found out a lot. Congratulations on being pregnant with #3! That's awesome!! And I am so sorry to hear about your thyroid cancer! That is so scary! I will keep you and your family in my prayers. I am glad to hear that it has such a great treatment success rate. It's so crazy the things that life throws our way.

Russell and Aya said...

Renae has calouses on the same fingers! And I agree they feel like Warts. She puts everything in her mouth too. I hope you will find a answer for that and share with me. I am sure I will be dealing same thing with Renae in a few years.

Erika said...

Yeah, I'm inclined to believe that it's best to let her get the chewing out of her system and not try to make her quit. It's a good idea to let her have one or two designated chew toys.

Aya- wow, it's good to know we're not alone. :) Good luck with your little chewer. :)

Libby- Thanks for stopping by. Thanks for your prayers. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello, I just came across your site and read this one blog. I have not read anything else so please do not read into this but here is a website that offers things that are safe for children to chew on http://www.dysphagiaplus.com/-c-34.html

Cpt Naykid said...

Hmm...maybe instead of baby dragon we should call her chewy...well...maybe not. I don't think you'd go for that one Honey.

I like the idea of having a designated chew toy. I still try and explain to the consequences of her chewying (breaking friends' toys, ruining her own toys, making them gross, whether is dangerous...), but she hasn't quite caught on. I think it is currently a habit that needs to be worked with. I know it could result in a power struggle, but at the same time if it goes unchecked I think she will continue. Just like kids that pick and eat boggies, bite nails, or scratch in inappropriate places. I know she is particular with her likes and dislikes, very opinionated. We just have to continue to help her understand the consequences of her choices. I think she'll eventually come around.