Thursday, March 17, 2011

To Catch a Leprechaun

Ballerina's first school project was to make a Leprechaun trap.  I kept putting off this project, thinking that this kind of thing was right up Handsome Husband's alley.  But I failed to tell him that I wanted him to do it... So the night before I was helping Ballerina make it while Handsome Husband took Fernando to see a hockey game with front row tickets from his dad.
Photobucket
Ballerina was SO excited to be making it.  Every time I suggested something she would exclaim, "Mom! You're brilliant!"  More than once she sighed, "I love you, Mom."  It was nice that she didn't let my stressed out mood affect her happy one.  I just have to say how nice it is to have a craft cupboard with all these little things on hand.  
Photobucket
The flap is supposed to be tripped when the Leprechaun goes through the door.  Then we just decorated it to be a nice house.   It was Ballerina's idea to make a sign and she chose what to write.
Photobucket
I have a jar of tiny junk things that I find around the house and those things came in handy for the trap.  The little Barbie fork was great for the table and chair.  Ballerina designed the red bed with roll up pillow.
Photobucket
I found gold colored sequins in my craft boxes and Ballerina decided to lure the leprechaun with that.  And for some reason she wanted cotton balls in there.  She was very excited about the finished product and just loved her leprechaun house.  She put the lid on when she got to school.
Photobucket
Ballerina was pretty distraught when she failed to catch the leprechaun, however.   She says that she cried at school.  The leprechaun did leave footprints on her trap and scattered all of her things inside and he left a note to the whole class saying, "Dear Kindergarteners, I am smarter than you.  Better luck next time.  Get harder traps." Or something to the effect.  He also left chocolate gold coins in their cubbies.  I think the chocolate may have helped Ballerina get over her disappointment.
Photobucket
Later that night Ballerina came downstairs all dressed up like this.  
Photobucket
Sweetie seemed to think that she needed a horse to ride and she was quick to volunteer.  Sweetie loves being a horse.
Photobucket
Silly girls.
Photobucket

3 comments:

V said...

The leprechaun (sp?) house is so colorful and detailed--I love it! Tell Ballerina if anyone was close to catching the leprechaun I'm sure it was her and her clever trap!

Grandma J said...

I agree with Val's comment! Also, you must have gotten the stressed out mood thing from me....I remember well the "night before it's due" projects and how stressful they were. Fortunately all of my kids were creative (like Ballerina) and came up with cute ideas.

Cpt Naykid said...

You did a far better job than I would have done on the trap. I would have built a real trap...not a house. She likes the house a lot more!

That is some fabulous creativity on Ballerina's costume. I love how she made the baby carrier a hat! Too funny!