I took the girls to the dentist for their first real appointment. I tried taking Ballerina when she was three and that was a nightmare. She wouldn't let the dentist NEAR her. This time was MUCH better.

Ballerina was a little apprehension before they came in to do the cleaning, though.
Sweetie thought it was great that Ballerina was getting her teeth checked out.
She was NOT happy when it was her turn.
The girls got to pick new toothbrushes.
They were pretty happy about that.

These are the happy pictures of Sweetie. Once it was her turn I stopped taking pictures because she needed to be held. I actually held her on my lap and tipped her back so the dentist could count her teeth and paint the fluoride on. She cried the whole time. Afterward she apologized for crying.
One thing that has really helped Sweetie with her emotional issues is her discovery that saying sorry helps. One day she walked in to my bedroom and woke up a napping baby. I was not happy with her and snapped at her. She went to her room and cried, like usual. But afterwards she came down the stairs and said "I'm sorry I woke up the baby." And I turned to her and I said, "Thank you so much, Sweetie! That makes me so happy that you said sorry," She was so happy to find a way to fix the problem. She can make me happy by saying sorry. I think it really empowered her. So she says sorry of her own accord more frequently. I am proud of her.
Anyway, Ballerina perked up when the assistant let her choose fun sunglasses to wear. She was really good for her teeth cleaning.
She didn't have any cavities, but there is a spot that could become one. So we are making a new effort to brush and floss her teeth better.
After all that, both girls got to choose something from the prize box. Hopefully next time Sweetie will cooperate more for the dentist.











No comments:
Post a Comment