Monday, March 30, 2009

The Blessings of Heaven

This is one of those things that you read about, but never happens to you.  
While looking for baby boy clothes on craigslist I came across an ad selling a large amount of boy clothes for $40.  By large amount, we're talking SEVEN 13-gallon trash bags full.  From a nonsmoking home.  I have bought clothes in lots off eBay and you end up getting some duds, but then you end up getting some cute ones.  I went over to this lady's house and I was amazed at all the cute clothes I was seeing.  Lots of Old Navy, Carters, Gap, Children's Place... I rifled through one bag and knew I was going home with all seven bags.  FORTY DOLLARS!  Apparently, she had collected the clothes as donations for a children's orphanage overseas.  She'd sent a large amount of the clothes and it had cost her $300 to send them and she just couldn't afford to send the rest, so she wanted to get rid of them!  Now, should I feel bad for getting clothes meant for an orphanage?  

The clothes range in size from 0-4T.  I spent ALL DAY sorting the clothes.  They covered my whole living room floor!  
The girls had a great time covering each other up with piles of their baby brother's clothes.
As I was sorting it occurred to me that getting these clothes was a direct blessing from increasing our fast offering.  I felt that I had been given so much that I did not have room to receive it all!  SUCH A BLESSING! How many hundreds of dollars were saved from this??  I catalogued what was in each category and found that I had gotten 263 pieces of clothing (and that doesn't include the garbage bag full of rejects!).  That comes down to FIFTEEN CENTS per item!!  There were shoes, a robe, coats, jackets, church clothes, swim trunks, hats, sweaters, onesies, overalls, pants, shorts,  a Seattle Seahawks jersey, a Trailblazers onesie, a Oregon Beavers outfit, baby blankets and a hooded Pooh towel.  Probably the only things I'll need to buy for this boy for the first two years of his life will be PJs, socks and more shoes!  WOW.    


I am overwhelmed with gratitude with the way the Lord provides for us.

Oh, and Baby Dragon found the stash of fairy balls.  She was so excited!
She made our family out of fairy balls.  You can see the two little ones are her and Sweetie.  The big one is Handsome Husband and the big one with the little one attached is me with her "baby brother" inside my tummy.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

THat's awesome! You hit the jackpot. I bought the first 6 months of my daughter's wardrobe off eBay and it was great. I totally understand the joy.

Samurai Mom said...

WOW!

V said...

Erika that is SO COOL!!! (And I must add, your family deserves blessings for a lot of reasons.) You must've found it in perfect timing. It seems like so many people would've jumped on this offer. What a great day, right? You won't really have to worry about spending money on boy clothes for years!

StefanieJinelle said...

Hilarious about the fairy ball family. I like it.